ICAN offers a wealth of assistive technology for loan, recycling and demonstration. While we welcome personal visits to our Assistive Technology (AT) Clearinghouse by appointment, we want to share with you a preview of what you will see.
- A display of options for computer access with modified keyboards and mice, as well as voice-activated software and learning software.
- Devices to assist with people who are hard-of-hearing and visually impaired, for example, assistive listening devices, flashing light system, talking alarm clocks, Braille watches, text readers, text magnification aids, and more.
- Devices that can help make cooking, eating, dressing, and other daily living activities easier.
- Augmentative communication devices such as personal talkers, language boards, and speech devices from several different vendors.
- A model bathroom display with devices to enhance personal independence in the home.
- Wheelchairs, walkers, shower chairs, and other durable medical equipment that will enhance one's independence after surgery or a permanent disability.
- Model kid's room offering a variety of fun toys--more than 120--that are activated by switches. Many of these toys are designed specifically for enhancing the learning process for children in addition to activating their favorite toy.
In addition to touring the AT Clearinghouse, visitors can also look at equipment available for loan and recycling. ICAN also offers device demonstrations so you can see how a particular device or array of devices work and even try them out before purchasing.
Before visiting ICAN, take a look at the equipment we have for loan, recycling, or demonstration by clicking here or on the Equipment button on the home page. If you aren’t sure what type of AT might help, click on the At Home to see a floor plan of a home where you can learn about all types of equipment and see helpful tips to make life easier at home.You can also find technology and helpful hints on the buttons for school, work, play, and community.
Short-term equipment loans are available at no charge to people who live in Arkansas. These can be used for many different reasons: to meet a temporary need when someone's personal equipment is being repaired or if new equipment is on order or to meet a temporary need after surgery or accident. Short-term loans also allow individuals to try out equipment before purchasing to ensure that they purchase equipment that will meet their needs. Equipment is loaned for a period of six weeks. A copy of a driver’s license is required for loan processing. A prescription from a doctor is required wheelchairs,walkers, or other similar medical devices. The prescription can be faxed to ICAN at 501-666-5319.
ICAN also has a separate program to recycle equipment back into the community. Equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, and bedside commodes can be donated to ICAN. Donated items are cleaned and logged into the ICAN system to be donated back into the community. ICAN also recycles therapeutic equipment such as standers and gait trainers.
Tours and demonstrations are availableat no cost and can be scheduled for individuals as well as groups of students, educators, employers, professionals, and others.To arrange for a tour or device demonstration, please contact ICAN. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
800-828-2799 Toll Free